Saturday, June 24, 2006

Rider on the Storm

The Mighty Thor unleashed his fury upon us, on Thor's Day no less. A few hours after I posted the Magic Words blog, the small rural community I live in, plus the surrounding areas, was struck by Hurricane Force winds reaching 80 miles per hour and leaving a wake of destruction for us to climb up out of.

Trees were felled, roofs torn off, powerlines clipped... Now, while the National Weather Service won't confirm it, locals were eyewitness to three tornados touching down between Sweetser (where I was working) and Converse (where I live). I actually got off pretty light.

While my workplace lost electricity until today, and 3/4 of Converse found themselves without power, my home only lost cable and internet (and a third of the roof that covered my laundry room).

It is times like these that we are all reminder just how small we are compared to the full might of Mother Nature (or the God of Thunder, for that matter).

While others ran cowering for cover, I stood my ground with my friend and co-worker Aaron and we marveled at the torrent that beset us. It was truly a magnificent display of wind, thunder, and lightning.

I love storms. I am energized by them. While I do not wish for the inconvience to others that such a storm brings (or in extreme cases, the loss of human life), I do relish in the Power, Mystery, and hammer of the Gods that storms of this magnitude inspire.

Rock On, Stormbringer...

Show us who's boss.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our pond looked surfboard ready! I videotaped some.....amazing storm!!

12:44 PM  
Blogger Bob Freeman said...

Awesome... would like to see some of that tape...

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Only have a few minutes of footage. How is your internet at downloading video? When I get around to putting it on the computer I can probably email it to you!!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home