Thursday, June 22, 2006

Magic Words

I don't think I'll be telling tales outside of school by stating that a writer's life is not easy, especially in the early stages of one's "career". For those of you who know the day to day struggle of trying to squeeze words out while juggling a job (or two), family commitments, technological malfunctions (damned computers) and extracurricular activities... I salute you and share your pain.

We write out of love and passion for an art that is sadly becoming lost. Our audience has dwindled to the point of near extinction while more and more of us put word to paper in the hopes that maybe, just maybe, someone out there will take notice and be entertained by the yarns we spin.

I know that, if writing were my sole profession, I would be extremely prolific. I have never known "writer's block". As the creator of Charlie Brown used to say, "Writer's Block is for amateurs". That being said, time is my enemy, as it is the enemy of many writers that find themselves in the same situation as I do. But still we champion on, donning our armour and brandishing our sword against the great and terrible beast that seeks to pull us from our Quest. With words we feint and parry against the dark abyss' minnions and we strike a blow against this evil and relish in whatever word count that can be mustered.

In the end it is all about the words, isn't it? The collection of magic symbols that we knit together by way of cryptic spell, invoking the Gods of Prose and petitioning them for their blessing as we construct the incantations that will carry our audience away from the real world for a time... depositing them into worlds of our own creation.

I raise a horn to you, the writer, and I am humbled to count myself among your number. We are the wordsmiths, and though we may be unheralded, still we endure and press on.

Write on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home