Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Good Intentions

Received word today from Laurell's husband Jon, thanking me for my efforts to contact them concerning her grandmother's illness and to disregard the ugliness that rose up on her fan board over the issue.

Consider it done.

A lot of mud has been flung at the LKH MB and some of it struck me. Oh well, life goes on. I received far more support than I received vitriol and for that I'm flattered. I have always been a stand up guy and its nice that my honesty and integrity has been seen as that by many who post on the same message boards that I do. I've learned a lot about how to deal with fans and the online community based on my hanging out at the LKH MB, and I hope to put those lessons to good use as people begin to read my own work. You owe the people who purchase your books a bit of your time and respect. Making yourself available to them, even in a limited fashion goes a long way.

Laurell is a talented writer and I would highly recommend the first nine books in the Anita Blake series...

Do some of her fans have legitimate gripes concerning the later books in the series? Yes. They are not for everyone. And if you find they're not for you, move along. Find something else. It's really that simple. If you don't like the direction the books are headed in, no one is forcing you to read them. Vote with your wallet. The important thing to remember is that Anita is Laurell's baby...it's her sandbox and she can play in it anyway she likes.

Do the books need better editing? Certainly, but I've noticed the same problems in a lot of literature in the last decade and it is steadily getting worse. I think there are a number of contributing factors, not the least of which is corporate pressure and insane deadlines. You have to keep the beast fed...

All that being said, this fiasco has been a harsh lesson in communication and online edicate... I've learned a lot over the course of the past six days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home