Monday, June 12, 2006

I survived Mo-Con 2006

Maurice Broaddus and his lovely wife opened up there home for a gathering of writers and fans on Saturday evening. I made the two hour trip to the big city for the opportunity to shake hands with people who previously had been but words and avatars on various message boards. It was a trip that was more than worthwhile.

The Indiana Horrow Writers Association were in attendance, and it was a thrill to meet them all. Michael West, Tracy Jones, Lauren David, Sara Larson, and Maurice, of course.

It was a pleasure to finally meet one of my favorite online posters, Carrie Rapp (aka valcarrie, aka musclechik), who was as joyful in person as I have found her to be online. I wish I would have had more time to chit chat with her...

Unexpected, but a treat none the less, was the irrepressible Chesya Burke and paranormal romance mavin Debbie Kuhn.

Brian Keene was the Guest of Honor and I had been anxious to meet the notorious author who has been firing the imaginations of so many in the horror community over the past few years. I was pleased to discover that the Brian Keene I had come to know on message boards was the same Brian Keene I met in person. Quick-witted and funny, Brian has a very easy going personality and a charismatic charm that is tempered only by a wicked tongue. I would go into detail about some of the things we discussed that night, but nearly every story Brian told was prequeled by a "this better not show up on your blog" warning... lol...

Conversation was fast and furious, ranging in topics from our mutual love for Days of Our Lives (well, Brian, Michael, and myself anyway) to cyber-stalkers and imbeciles. We chewed the fat over the state of the industry, how we got started, and what hurdles we had traversed. It was like a bunch of old friends getting together after years of being apart... laughing, drinking, and having a great time.

My only regret was not getting to join everyone for the Sunday Service at Maurice's church, where Mr. Keene was to give a sermon of sorts on his take on spirituality... Now that I would have loved to hear. Rumor is that there will be video... I can hardly wait.

Till next time...

~Bob

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home