Saturday, February 12, 2005

the Reading Room

The Reading Room can be found at: www.cairnwood.net/1.html

Bullet Proof Soul by Steven L. Shrewsbury (Black Death Books)

Interesting set-up, intriguing characters, and fast paced action make Bullet Proof Soul a quick and entertaining read. The book is a collection of short stories, all centering on uber-agent Dack Shannon, an albino with a bad attitude and a thirst for heavy handed justice. Blurbs on the book cover liken "Shrews" to Robert E. Howard, and while I find that to be an overstatement, the author certainly produces a kinetic prose that would have set well next to Howard's work in Weird Tales. A valiant effort and one I recommend.

What I'm reading now:

I'm now deep into Matt Bondurant's The Third Translation http://www.hyperionbooks.com/titlepage.asp?ISBN=1401301819

Wow. This book is fantastic so far. As the reviews and blurbs state it is a very original first novel that I feel invokes the best of authors like Umberto Eco and Robert Anton Wilson. Highly recommended thus far. Will review further once I've completed it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home