Monday, February 07, 2005

On writing

Charles Shultz, creator of Peanuts, once wrote, "Writer's Block is for Amateurs." The man, besides being a certifiable genius for creating Snoopy and company, is also correct. Any writer worth their salt should never experience "writer's block" for more than 60 seconds. This is your job. It is what you do...there's no time for moping around or "searching for your muse". There is an old maxim: "Writer's write." So, "blockheads", get off y're duff and write. There's no rest for the wicked.

For me it's simple. I might have a scene or two in my head, but for the most part, the stories tell themselves. I'm writing as fast as I can so that I can find out what happens to character "x"...I am as shocked as anyone by the twists and turns, because they just flow out of me. Now, sure, I go back and tweak it here and there after the fact, but I am essentially a first time reader and in the exact same boat as you are when you pick up one of my books. The characters write themselves.

I love writing and creating new worlds and I love meeting all the varied characters and learning what makes them tick. When I'm writing I get lost in the world I'm creating, led about by an invisible tether like an astral form projected into the realm of fantasy. It's a beautiful and sometimes horrifying experience. I'm sure my fellow writers and their spouses would agree.

Hmmm. I feel like getting lost right now.

"Adam Moore stood on the balcony overlooking Princes Street and watched the throng of revelers disappear beyond St. Cuthbert's."

Gotta run. Mr. Moore has a date with a demonologist. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home