Monday, August 08, 2005

Post Wizard Account

Alright, I'm sicker than two dogs, so this will be brief:

The Good.
Scott and Benita Story's Johnny Saturn. Best comic I saw all weekend. It's fun, old school, and Eisner/Kirby-esque. Definitely evokes the Spirit, the Shadow, early Batman and the best of the Silver Age team books, like All Star Squadron. This book deserves to be a big hit. For my money, it is hands down the best that the indie scene has to offer. Visit www.storystudios.com for more information.

The Bad.
There were more people selling comics than there were people buying them. The comic industry is dying and I feel like I've been beating a dead horse. I love comics, but they've been priced out of reach, and are mostly written in an immmature and sophomoric manner. My love affair with the indie scene may have officially died... I'm just not that excited about it anymore.

The Ugly.
Lion's Den is closing its doors. Pamplets are dead. We've had it. They win. I'm sick. I'm tired. And the fire is gone. Bret and I have decided that we will work with Doug to complete Loose Cannons and release it as a graphic novel and then that's it. We're done with the small press/independent comic world of cannabilism and bootstrapping. It was fun for a while, but eventually you have to quit beating your head against the wall. like I said in a previous post, I've had more success with my writing in the past six months than I'd had in six years of chasing the phantom that is comic books.


Now if you'll excuse me, I have a novel to work on.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home