Thursday, August 04, 2005

Off to see the Wizard

Yep, it's that time again. Wizard World Chicago is once again upon us. In years past this was a time of great excitement for me. It was the one time a year when I got to rub elbows with the comic elite, to get my geek on and relish in the reckless abandonment of pure comicdom, and to pimp my comic wares. But this year comes and the excitement is dulled. Truth is, I've had more success in the past six months writing prose than I have had in six years of chasing the comic dream. Add to that the seperation anxiety I'm already beginning to feel leaving my wife and kid behind, well, it's hard for me to feel excited about it. In fact, all I feel is dread. I don't really want to go, but go I will. And I'll think about the two days I won't get to play with my boy... the two days I won't get to kiss my wife goodnight... two days away from a computer and books that cry to be written... But most of all it is two days of time that I won't get to play husband and father... and it already hurts.

I think this is it for me. After this weekend, Wizard and I will part company and ne'er again meet. I may miss it, but nowhere near the level that my bouncing baby-boy-man will be missed.

So Bret, Chris, and I will brave the Windy City and dodge Al-Qiada's Nuclear assault (for those of you who follow Conspiracy theories and Art Bell's Coast to Coast :)) as we ply our trade for one last hoorah. Wish us well, but reast assured... Sunday will not come soon enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home