Saturday, May 28, 2005

BREAK!

Ok, I'm plowing through Keepers of the Dead and I'm pleased as hell with the direction it's heading in. It actually has much more romantic elements while maintaining a frenzied, chaotic pace... odd combination, but one I think the audience will like, especially following "Somerset". I am totally pumped for its release, and with advance order ready to be taken in less than a week...well, I guess excited is an understatement.

In the mean time, here's a top ten list for you to chew on:

HORROR FLICKS

1- Angel Heart. It's got Mickey Roarke in his best performance, Robert DeNero as the Devil, and sacrificial chickens. What a great film. "I know who I am!" One of my favorite films of all time.
2- The Exorcist. Terrific direction. Stellar acting. Max Von Sydow is a master thesbian. Shocking. Disturbing. Thought provoking. This movie pushes buttons.
3- The Wicker Man. Slow, plodding direction does nothing to detour this film from its revelational ending. You couldn't find success in today's market with a film like this due to its structure... not enough booms and bangs for the ADD crowd, but for me, it was a marvel of cinematography and story development.
4- The Wolfman. Lon Chaney Jr was great as the accursed Larry Talbot. As a kid, the gypsy mythology and angst-ridden dialog really captured my imagination.
5- Alien. Wow, talk about edge of your seat. I'm still haunted by the screams in the audience when that critter sprang out of ol' boy's belly.
6- The Exorcist III. George C. Scott was one of the finest actors to ever grace the silver screen and his performance in this really brought it home for me. This movie also has THE creepiest scene ever in a horror film, ie nun with a head lopper...
7- The Thing. I am a huge Kurt Russell fan and this movie was one of the best remakes on record.
8- The House of Dark Shadows. Dan Curtis is the man. This movie, based on the soap, was everything a gothic romance should be.
9- The Nightstalker.Another gem from Dan Curtis. Mad love for this and for Carl Kolchack.
10- Full Moon. Supercops empowered by a werewolf serum. OK, it's a tad hockey, but a lot of fun too. I loved the premise and thought the acting was pretty good for a B+ movie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home