Monday, October 04, 2004

For my viewing pleasure...

I do watch television. More than I should, I'm sure. I thought I'd take some time here to point out some of my current favorites...

Reality TV is all the buzz, of course, though I've never gotten wholely sucked into the genre. I am a die-hard Survivor fan and have recently discovered the Surreal Life, which is like a multi-car pileup on the freeway...you just gotta look. I used to be a fan of Trading Spaces, though I have soured on the show of late and don't make it a habit to catch anymore...I guess the cast was a big draw for me and I haven't been taken in by the new designers and craftsmen...oh well.

I am really enjoying both Lost and Desperate Housewives. Lost is very suspenseful and thus far wonderfully acted. What is in the jungle waiting to tear these survivors apart? Enquiring minds want to know. As for Housewives, has anything even remotely this interesting been written for television before? The pilot just blew me and my spouse completely away. Great cast and the writing and direction was superb. I will certainly be back each week to take another peek into this version of Hellish Suburbia.

Smallville is still a show that gets me excited to sit in front of a television set. With superb casting and a familiar mythos, the "boy of steel" has a healthy dose of soap opera and that high octane sci-fi genre action that fuels the blood.

The only other "can't miss" for me this season is an admitedly guilty pleasure. I got hooked on Charmed in syndication and am now caught up to speed and a full-fledged fan of the show. OK, I know its somewhat silly at times, but its fun and harmless entertainment...and since Buffy and Angel have gone to the land of syndicated reruns, well, we fantasy genre junkies must get our fix now, mustn't we...

I still catch a lot on syndication...Star Trek in its various guises, Buffy and Angel, Law and Order, NYPD Blue, Judging Amy, and even ER. Hell, I even forced myself to watch every episode of Dawson's Creek just because they were playing them back to back on the Superstation.

Cartoons aren't what they used to be...I catch Teen Titans and Justice League on occasion, plus reruns of Spider-Man and X-Men on the family channel. I feel sorry for my boy if this doesn't change in the next few years. I remember fondly getting up on Saturday mornings and watching some great cartoons...Flash Gordon, the Lone Ranger, Batman, Tarzan...where have all the good cartoons gone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home