Saturday, September 18, 2004

Thoughts on the Deconstruction...

It is getting more and more difficult to make it as a writer, financially speaking. Contracts for new artists are minimalist at best. I think the entire print industry is taking a beating, to be honest. It may be that we are seeing the death knell of print as we have known it since Gutenberg reared his shaggy head and printed those damnable King James versions of the Holy Writ.

I'm not sure what to think of this new technology. E-Books just don't work for me. They seem so impersonal. I want something I can hold in my hand. Something I can put on the shelf. I must admit to being quite fond of books on a shelf. Sometimes I'll sit and just read the spines of the books in my den. I have a healthy collection, I might add, covering a wide range of genres and subjects...I write beacause I read I guess. I've learned from the masters and the not so masterful. Books are a passionate love affair that I have seen kindled since my earliest childhood memories allow. They are wonderful, from the smell to the texture of the page...

I hope that the printed word is not supplanted by the electronic age. It would be a bloody shame to see something so lovely be discarded in the name of progress...

My two cents, I guess.

Cheers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home