Monday, February 12, 2007

Byte Marks (Vol. 1 / No. 7)

The Wide Game: A Novel of Terror and Suspense by Michael West (Publish America, 2003)

One of the first things that jumped out at me about The Wide Game is that it is a book written for horror movie fans. With cinematic pacing, Michael West draws the reader in with a director's touch. With a deft hand, West creates wonderful characters who live and breathe on the page. While some of the dialogue is somewhat forced, it is easily forgiven because of the depth West invokes within them.

The true star of the book is something I'm all too familar with... the Corn. Having grown up in a rural farming community not unlike Harmony, I played similar games in my youth. It was easy for me to allow Michael to lure me into those terror filled rows and make me cringe at what might lurk there in the dark.

A fine first novel, Michael West has crafted a story he can be proud of and one I would encourage any horror fan to take a chance on. There are moments where his inexperience comes to bear, but they are few and far between... and overshadowed by a undeniable potential to be an important voice in the realm of horror fiction.

3 out of 5 stars

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home