Monday, April 24, 2006

A bit of verse

Requiem
by Bob Freeman
The tapestries have faded.
Their vague depictions of past glories
Unraveled and worn.
Icy fingers of forgotten passions
That trace arcane shapes
Along the flesh of my arm...
Exposed, much like my soul.
The fire gives no warmth,
No solace from spirits drunk.
Anguish over words unspoke
In crypts forevermore closed.
Grief unhand me!
Must I be a slave to the pain
Of Death's shadowed cruelty?
The tomes are unopened...
Their spells left to rot.
The window, gaping wide,
Like the maw of a demon scorned.
The snow collects unrepentent
Till it melts away in mockery
Of my shrinking spirit.
Relinquish your stranglehold
Vile villian of night's discourse!
Unfetter me from your baggage
Of eldritch witchery.
Your words webbed with lies are
Esoteric and unwelcome.
I would be shriven,
Or dead,
Or both perhaps.
Let this cruel caress end
With a severed vein
And a toast to life's repose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home