Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Two Autumn Moon Reviews

First the Bad:

Reviewed by Bloody Mary for Horror Web

Okay people, this one’s going to hurt. Why? Cause I asked for this story and because I couldn’t wait to read it. Now, now, don’t give me that look. I know what you’re thinking - I haven’t posted much in a month - but hey, I have a life too, you know. Anyway, back to the point I was trying to make before your eye-roll rudely interrupted me, I was really looking forward to reading this story. Yes, even though it was a short story and really just an introduction to the full-length book Freeman has out, I was anxious to get my hands on it. And now, well now I just feel sad, confused, and a little lost. Why, you ask? Because I hate when my anticipation is all for nothing. You know what I mean?

Before we even get to the basic criteria and the numbers it may or may not accumulate, let me first tell you this: this story is free. Yes, that’s right, free. So, rather than judging whether you should buy it or not, I’ll be helping you decide whether to either sit at the computer and read it or just pretend it doesn’t exist. Good times.

Now, lets get started, shall we? While the plot itself is not a new one, the direction Freeman takes it is …entertaining. Yes, there are a few thousand stories about a teen witch, her cousin the werewolf, and their aunt – the instructor. And even though you may think that’s too many monsters for one story, let me add that there are even a few zombies thrown in here for good measure. Hey, at least there aren’t any vampires. But while this combination may be fun for a few minutes, it loses its amusement rather quick. And let me tell you, that’s pretty bad considering it’s only 13 pages.

The problem? The story was rushed, lost focus a few times, and skipped ahead without even a sign or a map to assist you. Which is sad, considering the fact that I think Freeman had a lot of good ideas and storylines to pursue, but he kept getting sidetracked.

My opinion? This is an author that needs the freedom of a few hundred pages to really get in to the groove of his creativity.

And that leads me to the next problem – Freeman’s style of writing. The narration constantly switches from an adult’s perspective to a child’s – it’s frustrating. The dialog alternates between modern day, 18th century, and the early 1920’s. Also, after adding up all the $.10 words that even I had to look up, Freeman now owes me $1.60.

Now I know it’s rude to expect a free story to be edited, but come on. It’s called Microsoft Word, people!! There were misspellings, words used more times than necessary, run-on sentences, fragmented sentences, and commas that were M.I.A. Considering the fact that Renfield loved Freeman’s novel, Shadows Over Somerset, I’m just going to assume he has a good editor; they just weren’t apparently asked for their take on this story.

Since this is a short story, I am not going to judge character and atmosphere. What I will say is that, with many more pages and a lot more room to exercise his talent, I think they have a good chance of being three-dimensional. I also think with more space, the pace wouldn’t be as rapid and careless.

My rating? I give it a 2. If you’re bored one day with absolutely nothing to do, all the message boards are dead, and you’re in the mood for a cute young adult story, check it out.

And now for the Good:

Reviewed by Louise Bohmer

When it came time for chapter six of Autumn Moon and the Book of Secrets, I will admit I waited a bit to read this final installment. Why? I was a bit reluctant to see Autumn's tale end so soon.

I've said this before I am sure, but, truly, no one writes Gothic horror (or Gothic Romance as Bob describes it on his blog) like Mr. Freeman. He presents, in my opinion, the hope for revival of this much underrated sub-genre of horror.

Really, horrorfans, if you know your literature, you also know that, in many ways, you can thank the first Gothic novels of the Romantic Era for the horror you so love today. Yet this sub-genre, or more aptly put birth-genre, of horror gets very little respect. Well, pick up a copy of Autumn Moon and the Book ofSecrets and also Shadows Over Somerset by Bob Freeman. I guarantee, you will find a new respect for Gothic horror.

And if you are already a fan of dark, brooding mansions, long-held familysecrets, the supernatural intermingling with the mistof gloomy, thrilling atmosphere, you will quickly become a fan of Mr. Freeman's writing when you open the pages to either of his works listed above.

I don't want to give away too much of the ending ofAutumn Moon, but, needless to say, I was not expecting the turn this tale took. Bob builds an atmospheric climax that pulls you deep into the thread of the story, and when the end comes, you too will ponder thefuture of Autumn, Aunt Astrid, Sebastian, and Cassie.

These characters, in particular Autumn, will linger in your head long after you've read the last words, and put the light out for the night. I know I eagerly await the next tale that takes me into the world ofAutumn Moon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home